Posted on 05 Apr, 2019
Earth Day was started back in 1970 as a way to draw attention to environmental issues and to raise awareness about environmental protections. Now, almost 50 years later, we celebrate Earth Day every April 22 to demonstrate support and push forward on progress. Although there are Earth Day events going on all across the country, real change begins right at home, and teaching your little ones how to care for the environment early in their lives is the best place to start. At Aliento, we’re surrounded by nature and we do our part to keep it green. Learn about family-friendly ways to celebrate Earth Day and teach your kids about the environment – we’re all in this together.
1. Get outside and connect with nature.
Here at Aliento, it’s easy. Go for a walk with your kids and notice the native plantings at Bothwell and Ventada Parks — this is a good opportunity to discuss how native plants help conserve water because they’re well adapted to the local climate and help protect the ecosystem.
If you want to go a little farther, you can go hiking, horseback riding or camping in our neighboring Angeles National Forest. You can also fish, camp, hike or just hang out at Castaic Lake State Recreation Area. Want to learn even more? Read up on nearby wildlife habitats and conservation centers you can visit as well.
2. Have a family eco-quest.
Get your kids involved in some relatively easy projects that can make your home more energy-efficient and eco-friendly. Work together to replace inefficient incandescent light bulbs with efficient CFLs or LEDs. Or, go shopping for non-toxic laundry detergent, dish soaps and other cleaning products. This is a great opportunity to read labels together and find out why certain products are better for the environment.
3. Build your community and volunteer while you learn.
The whole family is welcome at Santa Clarita’s annual Earth Arbor Day celebration on Saturday, April 27, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Families with kids as young as three can sign up to help using the city’s volunteer site.
4. Think global.
Learn about international Earth Day initiatives and events from Earth Day Network, a non-profit that works with partners in nearly 192 countries worldwide.
Simple steps to live greener, every day.
Green living can, and should, go beyond Earth Day and Arbor Day. Discover simple steps you can take every day to help make our planet a better place to live.
• Turn off lights and fans when you leave a room, and unplug any electronics you’re not using. (This includes turning off your computer and your phone at night.)
• While you’re brushing your teeth, turn the water off until it’s needed for rinsing. This can save gallons of water each day!
• Try to make your showers more efficient. The faster you’re in and out, the more water and energy you can save.
• Recycle household plastic, paper and metal. All those school papers can have a second life!
• Carry your own reusable utensils and containers. You can even get a foldable, reusable straw to carry in your purse or pocket.
• Use paper towels and napkins sparingly—can you replace them with washable cloth towels and napkins instead?
• Make a weekly trip to Santa Clarita Certified Farmers Market for fresh, local food.
• Volunteer for a local park and/or environmental group. The Angeles Volunteer Association supports the national forest.
Our commitment to green living.
We value green living at Aliento, and are committed to using green building practices, as well as including the LivingSmart® program in all our homes. This program is about health and well-being for you and your family, as well as the planet. It incorporates new materials, technologies and features across five specific areas of advancement: EnergySmart®, HealthSmart®, EarthSmart®, WaterSmart® and HomeSmart®. Each element is designed to help save you money and improve your quality of life, while conserving resources and treating our environment with respect.
Want to learn more about the Aliento community, including news and upcoming events? Join our Interest List today.